1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weather forecast

Discussion in 'Silverstone 30th September' started by michaelcngm, Mar 20, 2013.

  1. michaelcngm

    michaelcngm Active Member

    Unfortunately, it won't be like last year (surprise!), but Metcheck currently predicts sunshine with some cloud, 4°C, wind ENE 13-21mph, and Weather-Forecast.com say no clouds, same temp & wind.
    Should be good for the intake mass flow ;)
     
  2. michaelcngm

    michaelcngm Active Member

    Fingers crossed!

    Met Office shows light snow in Sunday morning, clearing around mid-day. Overnight and Monday are broken cloud and around 0°, still East wind. Let's hope the track gets cleared OK - at least there's a chance!
     
  3. v8dave

    v8dave Active Member

    The BBC site is less optimistic with temperatures in the Northampton area staying at or below freezing from now (Saturday late afternoon) until well into Monday morning, not good for melting snow.

    It's not simply a case of clearing the snow to reveal the track beneath, banks of snow at the track edge will likely not add to safety.

    Sorry to sound like a pessimist - I'm as keen as anyone else to go on Monday.

    Did get a bit of a leg pulling about lowering my spoiler to be a snow plough when I picked up the trailer this morning. Someone else in the shop had been due on a track day last Sunday that the snow beat and I hadn't seen any thing here just north of London.

    Dave
     
  4. Martin C

    Martin C Senior member

    Hi Dave,

    Yes your points are valid and I always use the Met Office site for forecasts, which is bleak, have a look here http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/...racing-circuit#?tab=fiveDay&fcTime=1363996800

    That forecast shows the base temperature not getting above freezing between now and Tuesday afternoon, then add the wind chill :eek:

    The real dilema for us is we can't call it off, well we could but we would loose everything financially, so we are in the hands of the circuit.

    As those attending should be aware, the circuit are holding an inspection around 11:00hrs tomorrow (SUNDAY). As soon as we have had a discussion with them following this we will let everybody know via e-mail.

    No prizes for guessing what view we will be expressing to them, so keep your eyes peeled on your inboxes from around lunch time tomorrow.
     
  5. robandy

    robandy Junior Member

    Finger crossed for 11 tomorrow.

    If they do call it off let's hope they give us an alternate date not too far in the future!
     
  6. v8dave

    v8dave Active Member

    @Martin,

    Hoping we go ahead the advice to all attending should be to stay warm and don't open both front and back doors of the pit garages. The wind can really blow through at the best of times and if it's freezing.:eek:

    Dave
     
  7. michaelcngm

    michaelcngm Active Member

    A little extra

    If it does go ahead, the lower temperature will increase the intake air mass flow compared to last year in the ratio of the absolute temperatures i.e. 293/273, or roughly 7% power increase (and fuel consumption).
    Just driven down from near Glasgow to Stoke-on-Trent and seen very little snow, and my son drove past Silverstone yesterday and said it looked OK. Perhaps the wind will blow any snow off the circuit - it certainly has unrestricted access!
     
  8. Stu

    Stu Senior Member

    Hi Folks

    No fear of snow for the rescheduled Silverstone in fact its looking promising for both the BTCC on the Sunday and the trackday on Monday :D

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2655012

    Stu :D
     
  9. Martin C

    Martin C Senior member

    :mad: Can I go Tuesday...................I like the wet :D
     

Share This Page